Marriage License Applications

You may start an application by going to the Minnesota Official Marriage System(MOMS®) web site.


Public entrance to office is by appointment.

Marriage applicants call 507-375-1216 to schedule time to process your license. Besides CDC, MDH, and Watonwan County PP please follow these guidelines to keep us and you safe:

Call the office upon arrival to courthouse to enter building. Bring your own pen. Have ID’s already out of billfold/purse and payment ready.

Put your mask on (required).

No phone use after entering office.

When entering office use hand sanitizer provided.

Provide ID’s and payment. We will direct you from this point to end of process. Thank you for helping us avoid “Contract by Contact”.

How long will this last? Time will tell and this Policy is subject to change by the Watonwan County Recorder, Karla K Doll

A marriage license must be completed in person at the Watonwan County Recorder’s Office. Applicants do not have to be Watonwan County residents. Both parties need to apply. If only one party can appear in person, the supplemental to application must be completed by party not appearing. The following information is required on the application:

  • Addresses - before and after marriage
  • Age
  • Counties of residence
  • Date of birth
  • Full names - before and after marriage
  • Place of birth
  • Social Security numbers
  • Valid photo ID or copy of valid ID

Second Marriage

If previously married, we need the date the last marriage was terminated, county, and state. If by divorce, we also need the court location.

Application Fees

Application fee is $115 without Premarital Education (PDF) or $40 with the completed and signed Statement of Premarital Education on educator’s letterhead, be notarized, or include the church seal. The fee must be paid by cash or check at the time of application.

The license may be used anywhere in Minnesota. The license must be used within six months or it becomes voided.

Checks are to be made payable to the Watonwan County recorder. We do not accept credit or debit cards. Applications are not accepted via telephone or internet.